Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:06:58 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Urgent: older server disk failed, need mirror replacement

--------------enig58398C1E7634D6CEFF1119BB

up@3.am wrote:
>=20
> Hi:
>=20
> Sorry for the hectic nature of this, but I just got a kernel
> notification (and confirmed using aaccli's disk list) that one of my
> RAID level 1 disks on one of my servers has died.   The problem is, I'm=

> not entirely sure exactly what replacement I should be ordering.  Is
> there a command line utility that gives you the manufacturer's info
> (model no, part no) of the disk itself?  I looked at some of the disk
> utilities in ports/systutilities and I'm not seeing anything.  Here is
> what I think I know:
>=20
> IMB/Hitachi 72GB or 73GB 10k or 15k RPM U320 SCSI

I think you should use arcconf (from ports) to find out your drive
models and then look them up in Google or IBM's support pages. See this
for example:
http://www.clarkconnect.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Number=3D104029

> I built this server 3 or 4 years ago...the RAID adapter is a low profil=
> Adaptec U320 RAID using the aac driver.  Are the newer, SAS drives
> downward compatible with U320 adapters? =20

No, SCSI and SAS connectors are not compatible. You can still buy SCSI
drives.

> Is it ok to mix and match, as
> long as the drives are close in storage capacity?  What about mix and
> matching 10k and 15k rpm?

As long as your new drive is larger or faster than the old one, it
should be fine.