Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2017 00:27:15 +0200
From:      Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Subject:   Re: intro

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 11:46 PM, Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> On 10/10/2017 14:34, Tom Rushworth wrote:
>

>>> If you are wanting to run vanilla FreeBSD and don't mind periodic
>>> instability you can also run 12-CURRENT and install the "drm-next-kmod"
>>> pkg.  Although depending on how much time you want to put into hacking
>>> on things TrueOS may be an easier entry point for you.
>>>

>> I don't mind CURRENT as long as the parts I'm using work :).  Doug Kirk
>> also pointed me at the graphics/drm-next-kmod port, which I'd guess needs
>> something close to CURRENT as well.
>>
>> I'll give both suggestions a try over the weekend and report back.
>>

> i can verify that drm-next-kmod works on CURRENT as I'm dog-fooding it
> right now on a kabylake laptop and skylake desktop system :) i've been
> suggesting people give TrueOS a spin first to verify their gfx hardware is
> supported and working as expected.
>
> one of the nice things with both TrueOS and CURRENT is that once Xorg and
> drm-next-kmod is installed you don't need to configure xorg.conf -
> autodetection "just works" afaict.
>
> -pete
>
> --
> Pete Wright
> pete@nomadlogic.org
> @nomadlogicLA

I've been running 12-CURRENT with drm-next patches from
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics.git which requires
that you compile world and kernel yourself.

My colleague installed 12-CURRENT on a new desktop today and opted for
drm-next-kmod port and it seemed to be less intuitive, with conflicts
between obsolete drm2.ko being loaded instead of drm.ko provided by
drm-next-kmod port as well as a few other conflicts.

I got the same desktop, and just zfs send | receive of my 12-CURRENT
drm-next and that just worked on what is reported as Intel(R) Core(TM)
i7-7700 CPU. By the way, I'm running xf86-video-modesetting instead of
xf86-video-intel driver, which seemed more stable in the past.

I'm convinced drm-next-kmod port is the "future-proof" way to go, but for
now I'm sticking with the patched git tree.

Best regards
Andreas