Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:41:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        dick@tar.com, jasone@canonware.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible libc changes to support LinuxThreads

Richard Seaman, Jr. wrote:
> Actually, I don't think all that many apps use pthread_cancel().
> Its kind of messy to use.  Most can get along without it, which
> is why there have only been a limited number of complaints about
> the lack of pthread_cancel() in libc_r (until recently).  BTW,
> I haven't looked at libc_r's new cancellation functions.  How do
> they avoid propagating cancellation points in libc without
> changing libc?  Maybe they have an idea that can be used here?

Hi Richard,

Libc_r doesn't avoid propagating cancellation points.  A read()
from within a libc(_r) function will still be a cancellation
point.

We had to weigh the lack of having pthread_cancel() versus
having pthread_cancel() with non-standard cancellation points.
In the end, only those applications that use pthread_cancel()
are affected.  I think the number of complaints saying "Hey,
pthread_cancel support has non-standard cancellation points"
will be less than the number of complaints because we don't
have _any_ pthread_cancel support.

Well, that's what I hope anyways ;-)  Time will probably prove
me wrong...

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com