Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:21:44 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mandatory locking?

[Cc's trimmed]

On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 12:15:24AM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:

> > > How 'bout "anyone who can kill the process holding the lock?"
> >
> >  + file owner ( + root ).
>
> Which processes can't root kill?

Zombies?  :)

> > Otherwise I would be able to lock ~wes/FreeBSDmarkers and you wouldn't
> > be able to do anything about it until either notifying me or notifying
> > root about the process I accidentally left hanging.
>
> Hey, I'm the one who gave you write access to it.  If I didn't want you
> write-locking it, I wouldn't give you write access, now wood eye?

Yes, but I wrote a program that knows when I move between here and
Toronto.  That program automatically updates ~wes/FreeBSDmarkers.
Unfortunately, I left a small bug in that program (it doesn't unlock
and it doesn't end itself).  To make matters worse, since this was the
iteration where I move to Toronto, I probably won't be reading mail
for a couple days (or more).  You'll have to try and contact root (or
just crash the machine).  Fortunately for you, root@FreeBSD.org is
fairly responsive...  :)  But in the meantime, everyone else,
including you, is locked out of that file......which is pretty bad
since my buggy program had another bug I forgot to mention: it
accidentally removed all entries from the file except mine.  I hope
you don't use that file for anything important.....

Gosh, and I thought I was being smart by using mandatory locks so that
your file would get badly damaged it someone else tried modifying it
while my program also modified it.

> Or better yet, implement file ACLs so I can grant read/write to everyone BUT
> you.  Of course, I can do that now by creating goup "nothoek" right?  ;^)

Well, that would work, too.  :-)

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.