Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:01:08 -0600
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        "Mark D. Anderson" <mda@discerning.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SYN flood and freebsd?

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Mark D. Anderson wrote:

> i've searched around deja and freebsd.org and come up wanting
> (email archives show rarely show resolutions...).
>
> what is the current status in stable and latest regarding
> defense against SYN flood, and how is it implemented?
>
> i found some discussion regarding the inadequacy of the "SYN cookie"
> defense added to linux -- i couldn't make out whether that
> fix has actually been withdrawn from linux or not.
> i also didn't find an explanation of exactly what was bad about
> it -- something about firewalls or NAT.
> see for example:
> http://x41.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=491586304&CONTEXT=942635225.1891434518&hitnum=26

I can't comment about the SYN-cookie approach, since I haven't heard about
its pitfalls.

> and openbsd has apparently settled on a random dropping of
> old half-open connections.
>
> appreciate some clarification on this, as well as pointers
> to where answers to things like this might be found, for
> those of us who don't want to run grep through kernel sources.

There was some discussion about this on freebsd-net or freebsd-hackers in
September 1996 which can be reviewed by using the mail list search page at
http://www.freebsd.org/search/search.html.  Anyway, the CVS history gives
the definitive answer for which you are looking.  The pages at

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet/tcp_input.c

and

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/kern/uipc_socket2.c

shows that random drop was implemented (see tcp_input.c versions 1.54 &
1.55 and uipc_socket2.c versions 1.15 & 1.16).

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
Teaching Assistant, ComS 652 Distributed Operating Systems
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer