Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:53:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <tim@ppp6564.on.sympatico.ca>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, pechter@lakewood.com, softweyr@xmission.com, freebsd-chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> There is a far easier solution to this problem, of course:
> Don't &%$!@#* reproduce!

Hmm...  Does this apply to cats, too?  ;-)

[...]
> I also don't buy the argument that Americans have to breed in order to
> keep parity with some of the other countries who are knocking out new
> babies faster than an army kitchen breeds roaches.  If our domestic

Well, in Canada, its not a matter of "breeding to keep parity", but
"breeding to prevent from disappearing".  If it weren't for
immigration, our population would be declining (and we're not even
taking into consideration the eventual death of the baby boomers,
yet).  Simply increasing immigration is not a good solution.  For
starters, there will be a backlash.  More importantly, if we become
dependant on the existance of third-world countries to produce
people, we will have a reduced incentive to help these third-world
countries develop (since developed countries simply do not have the
overpopulation problems).

jmb would argue that parents are putting careers ahead of their
family.  I don't think that this is fair.  Despite all the speak of
"empowerment" and what-not, I think the reason that both parents are
often working now is simple economics.  There may well be some who
do this, but not the vast masses.

What is necessary are available _quality_ daycare and enforced
flexible work hours.

I don't claim to be a big fan of daycare, but please don't argue
that it simply can't compare to the fulltime attention of a parent.
There are too many parents who have no idea of what they're doing
for me to buy that.

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names