Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:26:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is the best secure_level setting?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> I am looking at secure_level in FreeBSD and wondering what setting is
> appropriate.  The default seems to be the lowest possible setting of -1, but I
> don't see any obvious reason why I can't run at +1.  What levels do you all run
> your systems at normally?
>
> I've already been warned that X servers won't run on a machine at
> secure_level=1, but for me that's just another reason not to use X servers on
> the host machine, not a reason to keep the secure_level lower.

As always, it depends on your intended use for the system. There's
additional frustration to work around when updating your system at a
higher secure level, but this is pretty irrelevant if you're sitting at
the console. "As high as is convenient" is the right number to use,
where "convenience" includes a risk assessment in the case of a system
compromise.

Leverage that synergy! Ooh yeah, looking good! Now stretch - and relax.