Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 1995 00:46:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   pure2 in stdlib

I was trying to compile the db.1.85 that someone pointed me to at
ftp.cs.berkeley.edu (newer version of our ndbm routines, with good docs)
and I got errors involing parsing stdlib.h, like this:

/usr/include/stdlib.h:80: parse error before `__dead2'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:80: warning: data definition has no type or storage
class
/usr/include/stdlib.h:82: parse error before `__pure2'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:82: warning: data definition has no type or storage
class

There was a lot more, but just repetitions of complaints about __pure2 and
__dead2.  I took a look at stdlib.h, and it has these things, sure
enough, but they don't look like any C code I've ever seen.  Does anyone
recognize what these things are?  In stdlib, they look like:

__BEGIN_DECLS
__dead void
         abort __P((void)) __dead2;
__pure int
         abs __P((int)) __pure2;

but I don't see either define'd anywhere, nor in other header files.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;