Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 01:57:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      wellsian <wellsian@caffeine.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail slow to answer

On 1 Feb 2000, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> Check if some firewall is silently dropping identd requests to port 113,
> as some earlier posting said.  This might cause a timeout to the identd
> request of the other side, although I'm not sure if it's just 5 sec.

Good call. _For my own needs_ identd has become more trouble than it's
worth. Too much misconfiguration on the net. :<

> Then check if your sendmail has the RBL feature enabled.  This contacts
> a remote name server, and can cause some delay.  Alas, even a caching
> named will not solve the problem if you find that this is the cause.
>
> I found out only recently (before I tried qmail for a while) that when I
> disabled RBL and wrote a proper /etc/mail/access map to control relaying
> from my dialup connection, my sendmail became a bit faster in it's

Certainly, reducing these checks will reduce the number of lookups that
occur before mail is accepted, but if lookups are regularly timing out
then something else is wrong and these fixes are little more than
duct-tape. No?

-Dave