Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:41:01 -0500
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linksys bridge via Orinoco WaveLan

On Monday 03 March 2003 03:48 am, Vladimir B. wrote:
> Hi ppl
>
> Does anyone knows how LinkSys WAP11 works in "WireLess bridge" mode ?
>
> I have tried following sceme first:
>
> uplink <-> LinkSys WAP11 (AP client) <-> LinkSys WAP11 (AP) <-> Orinoco
> wi0
>
> It works (uplink <- ... -> wi0) but whole scheme is very unstable
>
> link
>   WAP11 (AP client) <-> WAP11 (AP)
> often lost connection and only way to renew it - hard restart of AP
> client.
>
> So I was forced change mode to 'Wireless bridge' on AP, and link between
> APs now is very stable, but ... I can't access AP from notebook.
>
> So question is: does anyone make Orinoco card work in LinkSys wireless
> bridge mode ?
>
> Is it possible ?

    This isn't exactly the same problem, but I was unable to get an
Orinoco silver to associate with a Linksys WAP54G (using 64-bit WEP
and MAC ACLs) until I upgraded the firmware to the current version
(8.10.0).  You can download the flash software from the Proxim website
(the current owners of the Orinoco brand).  New firmware may help you,
too (as an aside, the new firmware's release notes brag that it makes
the link more robust in the face of running microwave ovens. :-)

    Be careful--if the flash operation is interrupted or goes badly
somehow, your card may become a paperweight.  Make sure your laptop is
plugged in and the battery is fully charged (and installed!).

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)