Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:12:28 -0400
From:      Colin West <cwest03@snet.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem getting FreeBSD to boot

Having installed FreeBSD I cannot get it to boot and have no
doubt it's my ignorance that's causing the problem.

I have two disk drives set up thus:

Disk 1 -- Maxtor 1.2 gb  drive C: Primary FAT Windows 95 Bootable

                                                 D:  Logical FAT
(data only)
                                                 E:  unformatted
                                                 F:  unformatted
                                                      Primary
BootManager Startable

  (Note: E: & F: are only there because of the way I had
originally installed OS/2. They take about 1 mb each and simply
bump up the drive letters. It's a long story....)

Disk 2 -- Maxtor 8.4 gb  drive G: Logical HPFS OS/2  Bootable
                                                 H: Logical HPFS
(data)
                                                 I:  Logical HPFS
(data)
                                                       Freespace
(lots of it!)
                                                      Primary
type A5 (FreeBSD) 2.5 gb @ the end of disk

I noticed that I can only specify the first partition on Drive 2
as bootable. The OS/2 FDISK utility will not let me specify any
other drive as bootable. I had hoped that, by installing Booteasy
with FBSD, I would be able to get it up & running; alas, no.

So, am I asking the impossible? I have the Maxtor Disk Overdrive
(or whatever it's called) that allows the BIOS to address large
disks but should FreeBSD be installed within a certain cylinder
range? I am unclear on this even after re-reading Greg Lehey's
excellent book.
Also, after the install completed and the machine re-booted I
could not get it to boot from the hard drive at all; The Disk
Overdrive startup gives me the chance to press the space bar to
boot from a floppy. It was as if I had done this and the machine
would wait for me to insert a disk and press any key. By
re-running the OS/2 install to a command prompt and using the
FDISK I can fix it (mark bootmanager as startable). Then the
Booteasy menu comes up,
F1 - DOS (windows)
F3 - ??     (Boot manager)
F5 - Disk 1

So, what did I do wrong (or completely fail to read and
comprehend)?

TIA,
Colin

--