Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 2009 23:47:00 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
Cc:        Jimmy Renner <jimbo@renner.se>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade failure

Adam McDougall wrote:
> Some of that sounds true to my experience, for a while I've noticed while
> installing a new port with portupgrade that it will install the default
> dependencies before prompting with the options screen to find out which
> ones I want.  For example if I do 'portupgrade -N postfix' on a fresh
> system, it will first install pcre and THEN prompt me to (de)select pcre
> or any of the other optional deps.

If I may, I'd like to suggest that users who are not happy with the
current status of portupgrade give portmaster a try. Now that it has
support for installing from packages it's fairly comparable to
portupgrade in terms of features, and I think that for most users it
will meet your needs quite nicely.

It does some things differently than portupgrade, and I suggest that
new users read through the man page and use the -v option for a while
to get familiar with it.

I'd also like to point out that portmaster does not suffer from the
particular problem described here. By default it runs through all of
the OPTIONS dialogs recursively before it starts building or
installing anything so you never spend time installing things you
don't want or need.

Of course, if you're satisfied with portupgrade I encourage you to
stick with it! I don't regard portmaster as being "in competition"
with any of the other tools, they all have their strong and weak points.

hth,

Doug