Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 01:12:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      User Land <userland@techie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   port 587

Hi,

I have a hopefully simple question.

netstat -na | grep LISTEN reports that among other expected ports listening,
so is port 587.

/etc/services tells me that this is for service "submission", but I don't
know what that is, and I'd like to turn it (port 587) if it's not being used
(the services running on the machine are: smtp, pop3, http, ssh, ftp & smbd,
all on the standard ports).

So...my question is: what is port 587, and how can I turn it off if it is
not needed by the above services?

Thank you!