Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:40:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>
To:        Richard Nyberg <rnyberg@it.su.se>
Cc:        marcus@marcuscom.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mozilla window won't open after upgrade - FIXED

>Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:33:32 +0100
>From: Richard Nyberg <rnyberg@it.su.se>
>To: Gunnar Flygt <gunnar.flygt@sr.se>
>Cc: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>,
>        Gordon Broom <gjbroom@alumni.uwaterloo.ca>, ajs@labs.mot.com,
>        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>Subject: Re: Mozilla window won't open after upgrade - FIXED
>
>On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 09:57:49AM +0100, Gunnar Flygt wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 12:21:35AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>> >
>> > It adds anti-aliased font support to Mozilla.  If this fixed your
>> > problem, you either have a bad font, a bad fontconfig cache, or a bad
>> > freetype2 installation (or a combination of all three).
>>
>> Since I have had the same problem, I continue the asking :)
>> How do I clean up the fontconfig cache then?
>
>Run "fc-cache -f -v". That helped me.
>
>	-Richard

Just what does that do?  There appears to be no manpage
or other documentation for fc-cache.
Under what circumstances might I want to run it?
Apparantly this did not run during installation of Xft and/or fontconfig.
Should it?

Mozilla has looked awful here ever since going past
1.1.-something, i.e. with addition of Xft.  Disabling Xft
in the (newer) Mozilla build/install hasn't help much.

Perhaps another data-point (and/or probably subject
of separate email), gtk2 programs, specifically
mozilla-devel-gtk2 and xchat2 have tiny serif fonts on
the menu bar & elsewhere which are practically impossible
to read.

I've checked everything I can think of (i.e. The Handbook), to no avail.

Additionally, mozilla-devel-gtk2 produces the following message on startup:

$ mozilla
No running window found.
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i
386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so [/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjav
aplugin_oji.so: Undefined symbol "gdk_input_add"]
$

The "No running window found" message is probably ok (?)
I have FreeBSD native Java 1.3.1p8 & the non-gtk2 Mozilla
doesn't exhibit this behavior.
Maybe this is a Feature(tm)?  :-p

Documentation (and/or more appropriate mailing-list to ask)
pointers welcome.

Thanks,

-kc