Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 13:46:06 -0500
From:      "Jim King" <jim@jimking.net>
To:        "Jordan Hubbard" <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, "Paul Werkowski" <pw@SonetechCorp.Com>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Which release of 4.1 supports i810 with XFree86 4.0.1?

Paul Werkowski wrote:

> | You really should try it for yourself rather than believing the mail
> | you receive since "very poorly" does not describe my own experience at
> | all.  3.3.6 works just fine with all my current graphics cards
> | (Voodoo3, GeForce, G400).
> |
> | - Jordan
>
> Hmm, but I have here a "GeForce 2 GTS 32MB DDR" that is totally
> unrecognized by both FreeBSD 4.1 and RedHat Linux. So that
> must be different than your GeForce, right?

Yes, the "GeForce2 GTS" and "GeForce 256" are different chips.  There's also
an even newer "GeForce2 Ultra".  The GeForce 256 works fine with XFree86
3.3.6 and 4.0.1.  The GeForce2 is a different story:  After much research I
decided that it *might* be possible to get this card working with 4.0.1 if
you use some binary-only Linux drivers from Nvidia; with 3.3.6 it looks
completely hopeless.  At that point I threw the TNT2 card back in the PC and
put the GeForce2 back in the Win2000 PC I borrowed it from.

Jim