Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:56:25 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        "Mike McGranahan" <mikemcg@ucla.edu>
Cc:        davar@mwvcaa.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual booting FreeBSD 4.7 and Windows XP

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:21:38 -0800
"Mike McGranahan" <mikemcg@ucla.edu> wrote:

> > Maybe I missed it earlier, but do you have any firm reasons not to
> > use
> grub? It takes a lot of the frustration out of multi-booting (too bad
> there is still so much left over).
>
> In my initial search for information, I couldn't determine how to use
> GRUB to boot Windows XP.  The GRUB manual didn't specifically address
> Windows NT/2K/XP.

Oh sure it does.  :)  Better read that manual a little more closely
before you install Grub.  In particular have a look at the example
menu.lst files (that's L as in "list," not one as in "first") near the
end of the manual, then go back to the config section and see why the
examples look like they do.  Reread the installation section carefully,
too.

I'll read more about GRUB and perhaps give it a
> shot.
>
> Mike

I happen to really like Grub and have used it in the past.  Only reason
I don't now is because I have my Win2K and FreeBSD 4-STABLE boot sectors
on a RAID0 array, and last time I looked Grub didn't grok booting from
RAID arrays other than those set up in software via Linux.

Jud