Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 21:11:29 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        rsss@melbpc.org.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic: Changing default root with the elf loader/kernel

> Following the helpful discussions recently, I converted my
> recent 3.0 kernel which I thought was elf (but in fact was
> aout) to genuine elf.   Installed the boot loader OK as per
> Robert Nordier's helpful instructions and  booted the
> kernel.
>
> Now one big problem, the boot disk is in fact the 2nd scsi
> disk (da1)  (as well as an IDE disk).  It boots OK from what
> in fact is the 3rd disk, but root always defaults back to
> the first scsi (da0) and of course the kernel panics when it
> can't find root.
>
> The perturbation which resulted in a default root change
> with the aout loader/kernel,  2:da(1,a)kernel,  is rejected
> by the new loader.
>
> So to avoid a panic with the system and myself (as presently
> I can't  run the elf kenel), how does one change the default
> root with the new loader.  Even better, how does one save
> this information so it boots automatically  and does not
> require manual input.

Start by breaking to the loader commandline, and say

	set num_ide_disks=1
	boot

You may need:

	set currdev=disk3s1a:

if it hasn't already set the current device correctly.

Please let me know how you go with this; I don't have such a senario to
test with at the moment, but will definitely do whatever is required to
make it work properly.