Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:02:03 -0500
From:      "JoeB" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>, "Matthew Seaman" <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Apache_fp Port install problem

At 12:03 PM 1.12.2003 +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 12:01:44PM -0600, Jack L. Stone wrote:
tried a
number
there. Have
tried
get this
error:

whenever
I try

virtual
hosts.....

>> >/usr/src/UPDATING says:
>> >
>> >20021110:
>> >        The definitions of the standard file streams (stdio,
stdout, and
>> >        stderr) have changed so that they are no longer
compile-time
>> >        constants.  Some older binaries may require updated 3.X
>> >        compatability libraries (for example, by setting
COMPAT3X=yes
>> >        for a buildworld/installworld).
>> >
>> >Alternatively to doing a buildworld with COMPAT3X=yes, you could
>> >install the misc/compat3x port.
>

>> Good grief! I read the UPDATING as always, but this one did NOT
sink
>> in....! Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction
before I
>> shot myself in the foot....
>>
>> If I go the misc/compat3x port route, I assume I need to redo the
>> buildword....?? If so, then I might as well include the
COMPAT3X=yes in the
>> make.conf.
>
>All that setting COMPAT3X=yes does is cause the buildworld process
>uudecode and install some precompiled copies of FreeBSD-3.x shared
>libraries --- see /usr/src/lib/compat/compat3x.i386 for what's
>available.  Those libraries were originally just copied off a 3.x
>machine, but since then kernel changes in 4.x or 5.0 have meant
that
>certain changes have had to be back ported to RELENG_3 in order to
>maintain compatibility between the 3.x shlibs and the kernel.
>
>Supplying those libraries by installing the port achieves exactly
the
>same effect, but quicker.  However, the choice is entirely up to
you.
>In the long run, putting COMPAT3X into /etc/make.conf would be my
>choice, as my regular schedule of buildworlds would ensure
everything
>was up to date.
>
>Once the 3.x shlibs are in place, the binary frontpage binary
supplied
>with the apache-fp port should pick them up OK.  The interface
between
>the 3.x shlibs and any applications linked to them should remain
>exactly the same.
>
>       Cheers,
>
>       Matthew

Matthew, thanks again for the reply. However, I've tried both
methods of
the compat3x on a test server, including and whole new
build/installworld
and the latest 4.7-STABLE still hoses FrontPage. I even deleted and
started
from scratch on Apache+FP-1.27, but the FP install stops dead at
trying to
chown the uid:gid on the root web and gives the same error:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libm.so.2: Undefined symbol
"__stderrp"
ERROR: Unable to chown web root web in port 80

This caught me by surprise because I'd had FP running fine with
FBSD-4.7
(RELEASE and STABLE) on other servers, but it was the installs JUST
prior
to the change date of 20021110. In fact they where only 5 days
earlier. FP
still doesn't understand what's going on apparently.

Backing down to the installs prior to 20021110 makes FP happy again.
Unfortunately, until I figure out the cure, I can't track
4.7-STABLE. As
much as it is a pain, I must run FP for the users.

No doubt others running FP must have seen this by now.... nothing
else is
affected and 4.7-STABLE runs fine otherwise (tried several
machines).

Any other thoughts, Matthew or from anyone much appreciated.