Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:45:57 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Alexander Shiryaev <coumarin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICC 9 in FreeBSD 6

In the last episode (Dec 17), Alexander Shiryaev said:
> I'm trying to hack ICC 9.1.045 ia32 (using lang/icc port for ICC 8). I
> can't compile hello world ;-(
>
> icc  -c main.c
> icc   -o main main.o
> IPO link: can not find -ldl
> iccbin: error: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 1)
> *** Error code 1

Ouch.  A quick ktrace indicates that message is generated by mcpcom,
which might mean that icc's ipo feature links the final binary itself
without calling ldwrapper, and that means you're not going to get a
FreeBSD binary out of the link stage.  If there's an option to disable
ipo, try adding that to your icc.cfg file as a quick fix.

Since it looks like mcpcom just gets its instructions from its parent
iccbin through a temp file, it should be possible to write an mcpcom
wrapper that opens the tempfile, rewrites its contents (in a manner
similar to what ldwrapper does for the ld commandline), then launches
the real mcpcom binary.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com