Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 21:01:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Strange WWW problem

> Are you saying that your httpd access log shows the hit and that the
> document was served, yet the client is getting 404 (or some such)
> errors?  If so, have you tried launching `ethereal` (or your favorite
> protocol analyzer) to see exactly what is going on at all levels?  If
> nothing is apparent in the error logs, access logs, messages, or other
> likely places then a thorough look at the actual transaction between the
> client and server might not be out of place.  I realize that this isn't
> an answer, but it seems like the logical next-step.

Exactly... the part that is annoying me is that it's going through cycles
so it's hard to troubleshoot. I just looked a moment ago, and with 13
active httpd processes (max 20,) I was getting IE's "page
can't be found" message. Upped the processes to 30, now I have 6 active
and I can get to it at this moment in time. If I wait a couple of minutes,
it goes down again with only 10 active httpd processes.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look there as Ktrace was showing that everything
was going through fine also.

	Rick