Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 23:36:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Lance <lancez@accessld.com>
Cc:        questions@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0.5 Installation question

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Lance wrote:

> We bought your FreeBSD 2.0.5 (Walnut Creek CDROM version) several months
> ago. Now we would like to install it on a PC running SCO UNIX (System
> V/386 Release 3.2). However, this PC does not have a CD-ROM driver.

Ouch, where did you dredge that thing up?  :-)  I would call Walnut Creek
really soon and order 2.1.6-RELEASE.  2.0.5 didn't support CDROMs and is
over a year old.

> What I'm wondering is that is it possible for us to install it from
> network?  This PC is connected to our intranet and is able to talk to
> our SunSparc machine (running Solaris 2.x.) The installation file on the
> CD says something about NFS instalation.  But I had difficulty to follow
> it. Could you tell me a little more about how and where to this CDROM
> and what to do in SCO UNIX?

Absolutely.  Just set up an anonymous FTP on your Sparc set up similiar to
ftp.freebsd.org, slap a cheap NE2000 or similar ethernet card in the
machine, select a custom ftp site, and you should be good.

> BTW, could I simply copy entire (or partial) content of that CDROM onto
> SCO UNIX and install it from there?

Copy over whatever you like.  Or even, mount the cd under
/pub/FreeBSD/2.0.5-RELEASE and set the FTP Error mode to 'retry' and it
should work.

I would really, really suggest getting 2.1.6-R first.