Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 1997 02:13:29 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mark@quickweb.com (Mark Mayo)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, mark@quickweb.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Monitor shadows?

Mark Mayo stands accused of saying:

> Well, I'm pretty sure it is in fact the cable that came with the MAG, but it
> might not be. I've movved several times in the last 3 years and it's quite
> possible that the cable might have been switched. I guess I'll have to
> contact MAG to get the details of what type of cable I should get to match
> the monitor. Someone else mentioned that a BNC cable would be better than the
> VGA-15 cable - I cant imagine why this would be the case since I'd have to
> go through a converter anyynow to conncect to my Millenium card...

Unless you've got a radically different MAG to mine, the cable is
fairly unique; it would be hard to imagine that you have a different
one connected and that it works.

A _good_ Dsub15 to 5-BNC cable _might_ give you better results than
the standard MAG cable, but as I pointed out before the right cable
gives me very good results here; I expect that ChuckR would say the
same.

> Okay. And the input amplifiers and the transeivers are prime candidates
> I would imagine. How long does the typical "high-quality" monitor like the
> MAG generally last before it starts to degrade? Just curious.

Specifically, capacitors and most specifically electrolytic capacitors
are prone to aging.  The rate of aging depends greatly on temperature,
with a 10degC difference in temperature leading to a doubling in the
aging rate.

If your monitor is on all the time, and not in a powered-down mode, it
is likely to age much faster than if it is off, or in one of the DPMS
power-saver modes, as the components in question will be cooler.
Likewise, if ventilation around the monitor is poor.

Having said all this; it _is_ much easier to check your cable
carefully to make sure it's properly screwed in at both ends, as well
as making sure that the support bracket for your video card is well
connected to the chassis of your PC.

> Bummer. Mine hasn't degraded to that point yet :-)  Of course, I'd probably
> love to find an excuse to buy a new spiffy monitor anyways - and I could
> probably get one 10X better than my MAG for a couple hundred less than what
> I paid for it 4 years ago..... Ahh, only if I were rich... ;-)

For all the cons, I am still very fond of the 17" Sony screens.  We're
about to experiment with some of the cheaper 17" units, which may be
educational (and may convince us that we really didn't want to save
money in the first place 8).