Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 01:03:26 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW rules on tunX devices

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 04:57:21PM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> I have a situation where I want to have some ipfw rules permanently
> associated with tun0.  In 4.5-RELEASE, I just included lines like the
> following in the rules file specified as firewall_type in rc.conf:
>   add 11010 allow tcp from 10.2.3.4 to 10.2.3.5 keep-state in recv tun0 s=
etup
>=20
> In 4.6-RELEASE, the tun devices are created on demand and so tun0
> doesn't exist don't exist when the firewall rules are added.  Other
> than starting ppp(8), how do I create tun0?  I thought
> 	ifconfig tun0 create
> would work, but that returns:
> 	ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument
>=20
> Any suggestions?

I was able to hack around this for someone by placing an entry in
/etc/rc.early to open the tun0 device so the interface would be created.
The disgusting hack I used was a staticly linked binary which opened
/dev/tun0.  On current the following signficantly less gross shell
works:

echo "" >> /dev/tun0

I don't know if this works on stable though.  I'm sure there's a better
solution, but I've never claimed to be a shell hacker. :-)

IMO, the long term solution it to fix the tun(4) driver to use interface
cloning like gif(4) so you can do "ifconfig tun0 create" as necessicary.

-- Brooks

--=20

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO--