Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 18:46:30 +1000
From:      Chris <reman@tig.com.au>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
Cc:        Biju Susmer <bee@wipinfo.soft.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE quirk in 3.2-STABLE kernel ?

When moving the CDROM to master though can cause problems.  I had a
Chaintech 5TDM board which refused to acknowledge a CDROM as secondary
master.  I thought it was a bug in FBSD since RH Linux could detect my
CDROM as a secondary slave (only device on the controller).  I never got
a straight answer as to why it didnt work and why it shouldnt be changed
or supported.  I did get an answer from someone that said that it should
work in 3.0+, I tried and it didnt work. *shrug* probably just my mobo
and FBSD didnt like each other in this regard.

regards, chris

Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Biju Susmer wrote:
>
> > hi,
> >   I tried yesterday to make the kernel understand my CD ROM drive.. but it
> > refused. Here is the dmesg (of boot -v)... is my config wrong or i missed
> > something? The drive is Acer 32X and connected as secondary slave. It is seen by
> > Win98 and BIOS. Can someone help?
>
> You have the CD connected as the secondary slave and no secondary master.
> That's the problem.  It's an illegal configuration as the IDE controller
> is actually on the drive itself.  Move the jumper on the CD to master and
> it'll be recognized.
>
> Vince.
> --

Christopher Day

E-Mail   reman@tig.com.au
Homepage http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/1218

when the rain/when the children reign/keep your conscience in the dark
melt the statues in the park - Fall On Me, REM