Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 02:28:41 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs(1) Update and CVS/Entries

Crist J. Clark <cjclark@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> I cvsup(1) the FreeBSD CVS repository. I've noticed something that
> annoys me slightly, but also makes me worry if I am not doing
> something correctly. The CVS/Entries file does not seem to get updated
> when I do a 'cvs update.'
[...]
> It claims it does not know about golem, kdeartwork, mosfet-liquid,
> phluid, and ratmenu, but they are recursed into and updated.

As far as the recursion is concerned, I think CVS simply recurses
into every directory and proceeds to update it if it finds a CVS
directory there.

> Even though the modification time of CVS/Entries is changed
> everytime, those directories are not added.

Like it or not, that's a feature.  Those directories where not
checked out into this parent directory.  CVS doesn't know about
them, so it purposely ignores them.  CVS will not pick up random
files lying around and add or sync them to the repository.  That
they happen to share the names of directories already in the
repository doesn't matter.  Things either need to have been checked
out or added.

> Am I not doing something correctly.

I don't know how you created this particular situation, but you
must have done something wrong along the way.