Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 16:38:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, jb@cimlogic.com.au, jbarbee@singular.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: future of slpha port

Doug Rabson said:
> On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Matthew Jacob wrote:
>
> > Yes, I'd like to actually finally say that it's a great shame
> > that FreeBSD and NetBSD are different efforts- the NetBSD alpha
> > effort is in quite good shape- and I've been somewhat reluctant
> > to try and duplicate this for FreeBSD. Is there any way the
> > FreeBSD port can import the extremely solid NetBSD/alpha work?
>
> I have drawn very heavily on NetBSD in my porting efforts so far.  Much of
> the code in locore.s could be used unchanged or with small modifications.
> I am using a pmap ported from FreeBSD/i386 however since I don't really
> understand the differences in the pmap/vm interface between NetBSD and
> FreeBSD.

There are alot of minor differences.  The biggest ones are the temporary
kernel mappings, and the implementation of pte preloading.  Some of
the opts aren't very useful for TLB based machines, but some are.
The biggest issue is whether or not you want to emulate a referenced
bit.  If you get it working without referenced bit emulation, I can
provide you a few minor mods to the upper level code to make the system
work correctly (under load) without them.  After that, I'll likely
be able to participate with you on a better implementation.

(I know that the Alpha PALcode provides a page table interface, I
 forget if they provide a reference bit emulation.)

To help, soon, I can probably look at the NetBSD/Alpha pmap code, and
see how compatible they are with our pmap interface.  We really do
not have to support all entry points, and some that we do support
aren't really needed for functionality.  (I'll print out a copy for
offline reference right away, and look at it.)

After looking at the NetBSD Alpha/pmap code, I'll be able to be more
coherent in my comments.