Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 19:49:58 -0400
From:      Vince Gonzalez <vince@nycrc.net>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why we don't mess with root's shell: Re: Need help withRoot shell?

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 11:41:06AM -0700, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com> wrote:
>
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but if /usr won't mount (as in a filesystem
> > problem), you will have a *lot* more problems than finding bash - for
> > example, getty, named and inetd won't run.
>
>      Yes, you're right.  Sigh.
>
>      I've used a number of different Unices over the years, and programs
> like getty, etc. used to be in /etc (but not in FreeBSD).  They're now,
> for inexplicable reasons, below /usr.  Bleah.

If /usr won't mount, you'll usually get dropped into a single user mode shell,
so getty should not be an issue right?  Though it would be nice if virtual
terminals were available in single user.

Adding one thing to the 'root shell' discussion, it also seems like a good idea
to staticly link your shell if you're using something like bash since it uses
stuff like libtermcap, and that tends to live somewhere under /usr/lib.

--
vince@nycrc.net