Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:41:29 -0400
From:      "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        "Dominic Fandrey" <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
Cc:        csaba-ml@creo.hu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Anish Mistry <amistry@am-productions.biz>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD fusefs-kmod shutdown problem workaround

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:41 AM, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately it seems that Csaba's patch only
> allows you to stall shutdown for 10 seconds. After heavy writing
> more than a minute can be necessary to prevent data loss.
>
> I have created a problem report: ports/124901
>
> I hope this will make it. To me data loss and file system corruption
> are the worst case scenario and to me it's worth stalling shutdown
> for as long as it takes to write the data.

The shutdown watchdog timer is something I've had to adjust many times for
many different ports. Given this;

I propose we have (at least) a new rcorder script variable.  Something like
"SHUTTIME" encoding the expected number of seconds required for the daemon
to shutdown in the worst case.

Ideally, you'd want an overall watchdog and a per-script watchdog (so that
you're not waiting the sum of all these times in most cases).