Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 18:45:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sam Magee <webadmin@adsight.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Scsi Tape Timeout Crashes System

Ever since moving to 2.2-STABLE (now from May 30) I've been
experiencing system lockups during backups to my Archive
Python 4mm dat tape drive. They only happen occaissionally
but it takes the whole system down with the following error:

SCB 0x2 timed out while idle LASTPHASE=0x1 SCSISIGI=0x0
  SEQADDR=0x9 SCSISEQ=0x12 SSTAT0=0x5 SSTAT1=0xa
st0(ahc0:2:0) SCB 2: immediate reset Flags=0x1
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset 1 SCBs aborted

This has happened using Dump and aslo Afio.  I've just changed the
cabling to the tape drive (external) with no change in the problem.

I'm using an Adaptec scsi with the ahc driver.  This never happened
with FreeBSD 2.1.5 which I ran for about 9 months. Is anyone else
having a problem like this?

The rest of the system is a Micron Dual Pentium 133 with 64 Megs Ram
and a 4.x Gig scsi drive.

Thanks for any advice that anyone may have.

Sam Magee
webadmin@adsight.com