Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 00:45:52 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix/tuning to improve slow NFS writes?

Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :       So, the big question is whether there is anything we can tune to speed up
> :the writes. The freebsd machines are NFS clients to the sun servers doing
> :most of the web processing. Overall performance on the reads seems to be
> :best with nfs v3 over udp, which is what I'm using now. All of the web
> :server directories are soft mounted directly, with no amd currently in use.
> :
> :thanks,
> :
> :Doug
>
>     Well, NFS buffers are usually sent over the network the moment they
>     are full.  If you are not running any nfsiod's

	I should have mentioned, I have 20 nfsiod's running. I started so many
initially to help in the stress testing I was doing, but I left them
running because the servers are handling from 2-4 requests per second and
we have lots of ram in the boxes. Is there a way to figure out how many are
getting used concurrently, or is too many not a problem?

Thanks,

Doug