Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:59:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@kaizen.net>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routed supports variable-length netmasks?

On Fri, 16 Aug 1996, Paul T. Root wrote:

> Variable Length Subnet Masks (VLSM) are advanced routing features RIP
> doesn't do them. To do VLSM you need to run OSPF or (better) EIGRP (which
> is cisco proprietary).

Actually RIPv2 *does* carry the subnet masks and can be used on nets with
VLSMs [oooh neat - a new FLA!  :-)]

> Gated does do OSPF. But the question is, why do you want to route
> with a workstation? If that's all you've got, then that's what you
> have to do. But if you have routers, then let routers route and let
> the Workstation do work, and use a default route.

'cause we're using FreeBSD machines as dialup servers for a couple of
people, and they have subnets at home.  So we're trying to support

  [home LAN]---[fbsd host]

                   /
                [dialup]
                   /

  [home LAN]---[fbsd host]----/ISDN/-----[fbsd server]----[work LAN]

and other small connection options.  We're only supporting two people,
both of whom already have FBSD boxes at home, via an already-sited FBSD
server at work.  Seemed the easiest thing to do... :-)

Thanks,

Mike