Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 2008 20:50:09 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Kent Hauser" <kent@khauser.net>, "Jerry McAllister" <jerrymc@msu.edu>
Cc:        Walker <zflyer@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Wake-on-LAN and the em driver (freebsd 7.x)

-----Original Message-----
From: Kent Hauser [mailto:kent@khauser.net]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 3:49 PM
To: Jerry McAllister
Cc: Ted Mittelstaedt; Walker; freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

>You comments got me to thinking, I have tossed all my old PC/AT, W98, etc
>systems a while back (along with my old Foghat 8-tracks -- yes I cruised to
>Fool for the City on 8-track),  but I still had a W98SE boot CD -- and
>amazingly enough it worked. And it recognized my flash drive as B: no
problem.
>So step 1 complete.

>Now I seem to have run up against a FreeBSD 7.x ACPI bug. Now that WOL is
>turned on, if I "halt -p", I get the HUB LED to come back on -- but I can't
>wake the machine. However, if I pull the power on the box & plug it back
in, I
>can WOL the machine fine.  Everything is fine when booted in XP.

>Any thoughts on this one?

I assumed you checked to see if there's a firmware update for your
card and if so, applied it?

Here is what I would do if I was in your shoes.  First I would file a PR
and make it as complete as possible.  Second I would explore using different
model network cards if you have the slots for them.  Life is too short to
wait around for the developers to fix a driver bug.  As much as I am
pro FreeBSD even I've been bit by network adapter driver bugs, and been
forced to disable or abandon NICs that worked nicely under Windows
in a system.  And, having a stable network adapter is in my opinion
pretty much a requirement for a FreeBSD system.

Ted