Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 11:43:25 -0400
From:      Seth <seth@psychotic.aberrant.org>
To:        Ron Klinkien <ron@zappa.demon.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Athlon Power and FreeBSD-STABLE experiences.

I'm running -STABLE on an ASUS A7V133 with the 686B south bridge and have
no problems (other than the fact that I can't find any utility to probe
motherboard/cpu temps -- sigh).  The 686B south bridge problems were (IIRC)
related to PCI interrupt sharing.  Latest BIOS revs from all major MB
manufacturers claim to have resolved this issue.  (I didn't experience it,
so I didn't upgrade.)  I don't do heavy disk-to-disk IDE transfers; in fact,
none at all (my CDROM is SCSI).

CPU is a 1GHz Thunderbird, by the way.

After one hour of CPUburn, by temp (reported by BIOS) is 53C, motherboard
is 35C.  Normal CPU temp (mostly idle) is around 43-44.  I've been assured
that this is within spec.  (I switched to a Volcano II from a Global Win
due to noise.  The Global Win was definitely cooler but too loud.)

Surprisingly enough, I've seen "write failed" messages when there was a
problem with the CD.  I know it sounds strange, but reburning the CD and
reinstalling fixed it.  This was a couple years ago with one of the
3-releases.

My onboard ATA100 controller works fine (getting UDMA5 on my Maxtor 40gig),
but performance is a bit weak: 11MB/sec sustained writes (using dd and
/dev/zero -- not the best benchmark, but still...)  The other onboard
controller, a Promise UltraATA100, also works fine.

Sorry I can't validate your experiences.  I've had good luck so far (again,
with the two exceptions noted above: CPU/fan monitoring and disk write speed.)

Seth.