Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:31:00 -0500
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: S3 on a Sony VGN-A290

--nextPart1729139.BVVGGGJJhT

On Friday 10 December 2004 08:36 am, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> Grump.  I leave my new Sony in S3 and come back to it in the morning to
> find that it's run out of battery :/.  I thought that S3 was a low
> energy state.  Anyone else got a similar machine?  Is it a problem with
> the machine or our ACPI?  (I'm running RELENG_5 on it).
>
> Joe
>
> ps. I remember some talk a while ago about a native S4 implementation -
> FreeBSD suspend to disk.  Has there been any progress in this direction?
This depends on what the ACPI on your systems does.  It sounds like it is=20
similar to my P2110 and that the video adpater isn't turned off,=20
eventhough the backlight goes off when the system goes into S3.  I'm using=
=20
the acpi_video DPMS patch posted a while back and significantly reduces=20
the power drain while in S3, but there must still be some devices that=20
aren't getting powered down since the power drain when compared to Windows=
=20
2000, is still much higher.  For example in Windows I can leave the system=
=20
suspended on battery for 2 days and only see a few percent drop in the=20
battery level, where as FreeBSD 6-CURRENT I can only leave it suspended=20
for about a day before it kills off the battery.
The PCI power state transition code recently added didn't show any affect,=
=20
but that was with an older kernel, I'll try again this weekend and double=20
check the compenets are actually entering D3.
=2D-=20
Anish Mistry