Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2019 08:25:03 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Milan Obuch <freebsd-hackers@dino.sk>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any WAFER-BT users?

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 2:39 AM Milan Obuch <freebsd-hackers@dino.sk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am testing WAFER-BT-N28071-R20 board, details at
> https://www.ieiworld.com/en/product/model.php?II=637
>
> I tried installing from mini memstick image for both i386 and amd64
> architectures, 12.0-RELEASE, both are failing the same way - boot loader
> starts, menu is displayed, selected/timed out, then

> /boot/kernel/kernel [text= etc.]
> can't find '/boot/entropy'
> |

> and that's all. No output from kernel, no sign of life :(

This symptom means one of two things:
(1) The boot loader is crashing for some reason, but not reporting it (way
too common on UEFI, sadly)
(2) The boot loader is configuring some crazy thing as console, loading the
kernel and it is dying and reporting the message into cloud kookoo land.

> This board was tested with Windows and Linux, so it could not be
> something totally wrong, just some BIOS settings or somesuch... I tried
> aomething similar (just from memory). Also, trying run kernel manually
> from loader does not reveal anything, 'boot -vs' outputs nothing as
> well.

If you can get to the stage where it thinks it's booting manually, it isn't
likely (1), though it's still a small possibility while loading the kernel.
It would be really helpful to have a screen shot where it died. You might
also setup a serial console too.

> Any hint anybody? With no output from kernel, I am lost - no idea where
> and what to look for...

Try a -current snapshot?

Warner