Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:14:16 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hari Bhaskaran <subscr@spider.netmails.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newfs -i and -f options with vinum

On Sunday, 22 December 2002 at 18:41:13 -0600, Hari Bhaskaran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to create a partition that will be used to
> store large number of small files (qmail Maildir)
> I normally (without vinum in the picture) do this via
>
> newfs -i 2048 -f 512 /dev/...
>
> So when using newfs to create an fs via vinum, I am assuming
> I have to specify -i and -f options in addition to -v.
> However, I noticed that these options where also specified
> under disklabel for the entire vinum drive
> (I saw fsize and bsize - which I assume
> will be fragment size and block size).
>
> So my questions is:-
>
>    Is it possible to specify these settings only for one
>    volume (where I store my mail files)? Does it mean I
>    can ignore the settings that I saw in disklabel (-e)?

These settings don't apply to volumes, they apply to file systems.
Yes, you can set them individually for each file system.  The
information in the disk label is not binding.  I'd strongly advise
against a 2048 byte block size, though; it buys you nothing in
comparison with a 4096 byte block size, but it can result in
marginally reduced performance.  In general, unless you have a very
good reason, stick to the default 16k/2k block and frag sizes.

Greg