Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:42:10 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        usb@freebsd.org, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umass troubleshooting FAQ

On Jan 14, 2008, at 8:47 AM, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> On Sunday 13 January 2008, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>> I think it would be useful to mine the PR database for common umass
>> problems that are solved by hints.  There's a bunch of 'my umass is
>> broken' with no patch, but a few that have fixes that could be used.
>> Or a few that can be looked up in the code that have been fixed.
>>
>> Any takers?
>
> Should we have a separate bugathon on IRC/SIP/AIM/ICQ ... for USB ?

That may be too short-lived. I expect that resolving all or most
problems can take up to a couple of weeks, so maybe something
less fluid and volatile would work better.

What may be good to have is a list of USB devices that work as
well as a list that don't. This translates nicely into release
notes. We could maintain these lists on the wiki so that it's
easy enough to maintain. On the wiki we can collect all kinds
of information related to the problem analysis, such as which
SCSI command is causing what problem/sense data. it can take a
while before we know what exactly needs to be done.

On top of that, a fix for one device may be so fundamental that
we may want to test all the known-working devices again to see
that we didn't break anything. Keeping track of what we know is
working is important in that respect.

just a thought,

--
Marcel Moolenaar