Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 1998 08:41:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP Compliant Kernel?

>      If this does not belong to -hackers, excuse me then.
>
>      What is the future of FreeBSD in term of after 3.0? Will there be
> concurrent 4.0 development with a lot of radical and non mission critical
> code? Or will releases just stay around 3.x for a year or so? If there
> will be 4.0 as soon as 3.0 is out, what are some of the cool features that
> 4.0 will have - merced port? Alpha?

A port is not sufficient reason, in itself, to bump the major number.
I'm not sure what the FreeBSD project's criteria are; but most companies
reserve major number increments for changes which break backwards
compatability.  (For some definition of breakage.  For FreeBSD, the
need to use a 'compat*' library to run binaries built on systems with
a lower major number would be considered a break.)  Sometimes this
rule will be relaxed to include major additions to functionality
or extensive internal re-writes or re-design.

3.0 is adding ELF support and switching to it as the primary format,
adding SMP, switching the SCSI architecture to use CAM, etc.; so it
clearly qualifies for a new major number.  But it will probably take
several releases for all of the fallout of these changes to be handled
so that 3.x becomes a truely stable system.  (E.g., I don't expect
the first 3.x/CAM release to support all of the devices that 2.2.7
does.)

-Pat