Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 20:54:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        zen@buddhist.com (G. Adam Stanislav)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, licia@o-o.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it ok to use the FreeBSD name in a cyberpunkish

> >Ian M. Banks and William Gibson both delay definition of terms until
> >well after they have been mentioned (thrid or fourth mention is in a
> >context where an explanation is necessary to an outsider, usually by
> >a minor character to a secondary character).  I believe that Jeff Noon
> >(Vurt, Pollen) uses similar techniques, as did Roger Zelazny.
>
> Yes, as long as they do explain it. It does not have to be explained
> immediately. Postponing the explanation slightly adds suspense and keeps
> the reader reading.
>
> Heck, it may be postponed even considerably, but then the writer needs to
> assure the reader that the explanation will come eventually, and it has to
> come on time.

That's why I said "serial shock".  Because it's being posted in
installments, people are trying to grok the installment on its own
merit, and large works don't work like that.  This leads to unfair
criticisms about unidentified terms.  Personally, I wouldn't have
posted a glossary (but then, I avidly waded through the cacophony
that is the first chapter of Brunner's "Stand On Zanzibar", to
discover the wonderful novel that followed it).

I remember reading Larry Niven's "The Integral Trees" for the first
time in serialized form in Analog magazine; much of the nuances of
the relationship of the people to the CARN to the S.I. Kendy, and
the relative relationship to "The State" of all the players wasn't
clear until later installments; it wasn't clear that Kendy was a
Silicon Intelligence (uploaded human mind -- the term A.I> isn't
really appropriate) until the second installment.

Trying to keep these nuances in your head of three months until
the final installment was, uh, ...good practice.

> This is what they did in the movie Matrix when the leader said that no one
> could explain what the Matrix was because it needed to be experienced. That
> was a binding contract with the viewer: You *will* learn what the Matrix is
> if you keep watching. And I'd say anyone who has seen the movie not only
> learned what the Matrix was, but will also never forget it. :-) The story
> was written very well.

Maybe reading ~5000 SF novels (so far -- my preferred entertainment is
reading) has jaded me, but I figured out the secret of The Matrix from
the movie trailers.  Any other Jack L. Chalker readers come to the same
conclusion before seeing the movie?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---