Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:53:24 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AGP module ?

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 09:21:13PM +0200, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:
> > You need to do this:
>
> > # cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4				(1)
> > # make WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER=yes install
> > # kldload agp
> > # kldload mga
>
> By the way, I've got a Matrox G400 (32MB, 300MHz). I had read some material
> in the archives a while ago, and indeed the recipe outlined above makes
> those steps automatic :-)

It is only since march 13th that Jean-Marc committed these bits.

> I would like to add a couple of remarks.
>
> 1) Under -CURRENT, DRI no longer works. The modules are not built at all. I
>    seem to understand that DRI is incompatible with SMP stuff (some old
>    syscalls are no longer present).

That is so since april 10th. Search freebsd-cvs for the details.

> 2) Under FreeBSD-4.3RC, sources as of April 12 (approximately) midnight,
> kldloading agp and then mga makes the kernel complain about the loading order
> (which is actually correct); subsequently launching KDE2 just causes the
> system to reboot.

Hmm, strange - I've device agp in my kernel, and I can kldload mga just fine
after I've booted (I haven't tried unloading yet). Also I seem to remember
kldloading agp, then mga. Maybe you meant kldloading mga first, then agp?

> OTOH, if the modules are loaded **at boot time**, the kernel recognizes my
> card and everything appears to work correctly (at 16bpp, though).

I think the modules are then loaded, and only later initialized; with kldload
they are initialized immediately.

--Stijn

--
I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.
There's a knob called `brightness', but it doesn't work."