Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:23:08 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        freeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eq of Freebsdcon in Australia??

On Tuesday, 16 November 1999 at  8:15:50 -0800, Duke Normandin wrote:
> Hi...
>
>>> Hi I was wondering if there was an eq of Freebsdcon in Berkley
>>> califiaonia but on in Australia for the Freebsd users in
>>> Australia? (unless I am the only one<joke>)
>>
>> You're not the only one, but there probably isn't critical mass.
>> The AUUG conference in Melbourne last September drew about 120
>> people; the FreeBSDCon in Berkeley drew 330.  I'd guess that a
>> FreeBSDCon in Australia would get about 40 attendees.  Is that
>> worth it?
>
> What, IYHO, needs to happen (to FBSD or its PR) to turn this
> unfortunate reality around?

Well, I suppose the first thing to do is to decide whether it's an
unfortunate reality.  The logical next step would be to join some
larger organization, such as the AUUG, and go to some of their
functions.

There are user groups.  See http://www.FreeBSD.org/support.

> Is there a pre-defined format/structure/methology for creating same?

No.

> Should they/are they independent of fbsd.org?

To a certain extent.

> I don't believe that FBSD has much exposure here in my bailiwick -
> Calgary-Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

That sounds like OpenBSD territory to me.  In your situation, I'd
certainly find out what the local OpenBSD people are doing.  And I
might reconsider joining the AUUG :-)

> As the hub of the Canadian oilpatch, I can't see why FBSD could not
> _become_ attractive to the numerous Network Admins in these head
> offices. They need stability but have no time and/or inclination to
> be messing around. I may not know FBSD, but I sure wouldn't mind
> doing some leg-work for the cause.

Basically, the world's your oyster.  Well, maybe start with Alberta.
As I say, check out the OpenBSD population.  You could start a BSD
group: a number of the user groups aren't limited to FreeBSD.

Greg