Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:40:47 +0100
From:      "Lowkrantz, Goran" <Goran.Lowkrantz@infologigruppen.se>
To:        "'stable@FreeBSD.ORG'" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'Greg Lehey'" <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   RE: Amanda ond Vinum - Problem found

OK, I found what the probelm is.

Two things:

1 - Vinum re-builds all devices in /dev/vinum on boot but while the man page
and all examples show them owned by root.operator, mine are owned by
root.wheel. How do I change the ownership of the devices permanently?

2 - Amanda tries to be smart and find a character device mapping to the
given backup device, which is assumed to be a block device. There is code
that should find that the given device is a charakter device but it don't
seems to work correctly with Vinum drives. As this is the first full release
of no unique raw devices, would it be possible to have Vinum create some
kind of hard links with matching r-prefix, as a compatibility option during
the first releases of FBSD 4? I would assume that there are quite a few
programs out there with hardcoded r's.

Cheers,
	GLZ