Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 08:05:28 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shutdown -r now doesn't unmount ext2 disks?

On Sat, Aug 16, 1997 at 05:57:28PM +0200, Paul Dekkers wrote:
> Hi, Well... That's my question ;-)
>
> Doesn't shutdown -r now umount my ext2fs partitions?

I don't know.  I would expect so.

> It seems not, or is it because my mail-queue is pointed to that disk, and
> sendmail is still running? (don't know if shutdown -r now shuts down all
> program's)

shutdown -r shuts down *everything*.  Reboot restarts them.  Take a
look at your sendmail process:

$ ps aux|grep sendmail
root     129  0.0  0.3   540  188  ??  Is   Sat07PM   0:02.20 sendmail: accepting connections on port 25 (sendmail)
grog    8668  0.0  1.0   252  648  p8  S+    8:02AM   0:00.03 grep sendmail

Look at the date (Sat07PM in this example).  It will point to shortly
after the reboot.  If you look in /var/log/maillog, you should see
something like:

Aug 16 19:06:24 freebie sendmail[129]: starting daemon (8.8.7): SMTP+queueing@00:30:00

> Every time I shut down and restart my computer my ext2fs has errors, and
> when unmounting the disk first it works ok.

Ah.  That's different.

> (that's something I forgot, like sometimes I'm still pressing
> ctrl-alt-del, while pressing it I know it's wrong and I've to repair my
> disks...

And that's the explanation.  But what does this have to do with
shutdown?

:-( nothing to do about that huh? just learn from your faults...)

Hopefully.

After reading your message, I don't really know whether there's a
problem here or not.  I'm sure umount gets called for the file
systems, but it may fail.  Has anybody else seen this?

Greg