Date:      Wed,  7 May 2003 15:47:15 -0400
From:      Bruce Campbell <bruce@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   a few WD1200JB drives going offline

I have about 20 FreeBSD systems with Western Digital ATA disks,
some 3ware RAID, and some not, different motherboards, etc.
All use a low cost removeable ATA drive tray.

About 1 month ago I got in 4 Western Digital WD1200JB disks, and
put 3 into service.  All 3 have gone offline during operations
within the last 3 weeks.  They just kind of vanish, controller
gives a timeout error, drive light stays on, system dies,
soft reboot fixes it.  2 were on a 3ware controller, and
went offline 12 days apart.  1 was on the plain onboard ATA controller.

Our supplier has not noticed an unusual return rate on these drives.

None of our crop of WD400BB, WD2000BB have drives have done this.

Any ideas ?  I have not yet run WD's disk diagnostic.

--
Bruce Campbell
Engineering Computing

This mail sent through www.mywaterloo.ca