Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:38:45 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Arun Sharma <arun@sharma-home.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: listing sysinit order ?

Arun Sharma wrote:
> So my question is, is there a simple tool to list the order in which
> various initialization/probe routines get called in mi_startup ? If not,
> what would it take to write one ?

more /sys/sys/kernel.h

The SYSINIT elements are bubble sorted by a primary key, the
subsystem identifier (sysinit_sub_id), and then by a secondary
key, the substem element order specifier (sysinit_elem_order).

Sort order is from smallest value to largest.

This happens once in the lifetime of the OS, so a bubble sort
is not significant overhead, relative to, say, the first thing
that gets called to initialize something.

It's actually useful, on occasion, to printf each element before
it's called, to identify where something is hanging.

You can not cause messages to be printed until after SI_SUB_CONSOLE;
if you want to put a printf in the init_main.c, verify that the
sysinit_sub_id is > SI_SUB_CONSOLE before attempting to call the
printf.

-- Terry