Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:32:33 +0000
From:      Hug Me <hugme@hugme.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc on production server

--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 05:03:36PM +0200, Wim Livens wrote:
>=20
> Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum, but...
>=20
> Is it a good idea, security-wise, to have a build environment (gcc, et al=
.)
> on a production webserver ?

it will depend on what level of security you are going for.

The first and best layer of defence for your web server is the network. TURN
OFF EVERYTHING YOU DON'T USE. don't ever use anything with a password clear
text.. telnet, ftp,pop mail etc...=20

secound, make sure none of your services run as root... make sure that the =
web
server runs as one user and your web pages are owned by another.. your web =
server
should not have the rights to write to these pages unless it REALLY needs t=
hem.

if everything is turned off it should be hard for someone to get a shell. I=
=20
have shell accounts on my system, I have done somthing simaliar, I changed
the permissions on anything on the system that can compile so that only root
can run it, gcc, c++, cc... etc also everything in the /sbin, /usr/sbin and
/usr/local/sbin directory. then I have gone through and changed ANYTHING
a user wouldn't need to run to execute only by root (-r-x------)

I do regular scans on my system, run tripwire... things like that...

if you are REALLY worried about security, get a drive that has a jumper you
can change to read only, put your  operating system on it, move the jumper

like I said there are many levels as to how paranoid you want to be and with
each level you are going to have to spend a little more time on your system
configuring. find a good balance that you feel comfortable with between
securiting your system and how much time you spend on it. then you can
decide what level of paranoia is good for you...

oh, I have been working on a simple security help section on my page, it's =
not
finished yet, (it should have 6 parts when I am done) but you can check out=
 what=20
I have so far at http://www.hugme.org/computer/freebsd

>=20
> Thanks for any opinions.