Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:51:30 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        Zsolt Kuti <kuti@cetelem.hu>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: Hello from BSDi's BSD/OS division ;)

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 03:13:38PM +0600, Max Khon wrote:
> While I highly appreciate the work Bill is doing I am not sure that
> binaries for FreeBSD will be available. BSDi has binary jdk 1.2.2
> distribution for BSD/OS but is not interested in supporting FreeBSD in
> this direction. Will the situation change for jdk 1.3? Who knows...
>
> /fjoe

Basically, some kind of interaction between both the commercial and
open source groups make a lot of sense in that pooling developer
resources from both group (and others in the BSD community) would
make a project as large as the JVM much more managable than splintered
groups.

There's isn't too much politics on the commercial systems end since
everybody is pretty much too busy to getting their own stuff done
let alone try and help out our open source division. So I don't believe
that the inaction of not supporting FreeBSD's JVM effort was a political
decision as much as a function stemming from the lack of time.

Most of us are fairly insanely busy on the commercial side of things.

The 1.3.1 release of Sun's JVM could change this since I'm trying to
make an effort in getting folks on board on my own. It makes sense
in the same way that openpackages.org makes sense for all BSDs.

Whether it's practical or not is unknown.

;-)

bill