Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 10:48:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ro11@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Rohan Oberoi)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emacs pkg_add problem -- please help.

Rohan Oberoi stands accused of saying:

> Apologies for not having included the relevant part of the
> error message.  It was "Can't find shared library "libXaw.so.6.0".

This is part of the stock X distribution.  Either you don't have X
installed, or you haven't rebooted since you installed it.

> Thanks, Jim, I'll try that.  It seems a little strange that one
> should have to install the X server in order to run emacs, rather
> than being able to run emacs from the console.  Is this really the
> way the package is designed ?

Emacs can be built with or without X support.  The default is with, which
makes for a more generally useful package but requires X to be installed.
You can run emacs on the console even if it has X support, it just needs
the libraries.

Alternatively, you can use the 'port' structure to rebuild an emacs with
no X support.