Date:      Thu, 26 May 2011 17:41:09 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RAM needed for DHCP + router?

On May 26, 2011, at 4:46 PM, Chris Hill wrote:
> I'm looking to build a NAT / DHCP box for a lab network for my company.  My question is, how do I estimate the amount of RAM the machine will need?

How many DHCP leases and NAT clients?

ISC's DHCPd typically runs a few tens of MB unless you have many tens of thousands of leases.  State table for natd doesn't require much memory either, but it scales more with the number of network flows rather than just # of clients.  One client pounding away with BitTorrent will use more NAT session states than a dozen clients under normal desktop use.

Regards,
--
-Chuck