Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:14:16 -0400
From:      "Stephen A. Derdau" <sderdau@ne.mediaone.net>
To:        Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More IPFW/natd trouble, but I'm close!

I'm new to this here is what I come up with.
Take any adice from me with a grain of Salt :-)

Your set up seems similar to mine.  I can ping from my 10.0.0.0 network
going via natd over to my FreeBSD cable dhcpclient connection.
I also start natd via /rc.d
However in my rc.conf file I've commented out the configuration
of my cable access card and left say ed1 the localnetwork
card to be configured in rc.con....something similar to
ed_1="inet 10.0.0.3 subnetmask 255.255.255.0 " say ....
my ed1 interface is not being reconfigured when it boots.

I've looked at your firewall and mine is similar here are the
exceptions.
ipfw -f flush
ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ed0
ipfw add pass all from any to any

Yours :
Good LUCK !!!! Hope I helped.
ipfw -f flush

Bryce Newall wrote:

> [...]
> far:
>
> * Two 3C590 ethernet cards in the box, vx0 and vx1.  vx0 is the interface
> to my cable modem (gets its IP via DHCP), and vx1 is the interface to the
> local network (configured as IP 10.0.0.1).
>
> * vx1 is configured at boot-up; vx0 is configured by the DHCP client.
> Side note: The @#%()^ ISC DHCP client resets vx1's IP to 0.0.0.0 when it
> runs, even though I specifically tell it vx0, so I end up having to add an
> additional ifconfig command to /etc/dhclient-script to put vx1's IP back
> at 10.0.0.1.  However, that's easy enough.
>
> * At boot-up, my "firewall" is configured by /etc/rc.firewall, set up for
> an open firewall, so the following commands get executed:
>
>   ipfw -f flush
>   ipfw add 1000 pass all from any to any via lo0
>   ipfw add 1010 deny all from 127.0.0.0/8 to 127.0.0.0/8
>   ipfw add 65000 pass all from any to any
>   ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via vx0
>   ipfw add pass all from any to any
>
> The 2nd and 3rd lines were in /etc/rc.firewall already, and it said that I
> shouldn't change 'em, so I didn't.  The last two were added per
> instructions from the natd man page.  I'm assuming vx0 is the correct
> interface, although I did also try it with vx1.  My "firewall" here isn't
> much of a firewall; I just wanted to get it *working* at all before I
> started mucking with more strict firewall rules.
>
> * Finally, also at boot-up, /etc/rc.local runs natd with the following
> command line:
>
>   /usr/sbin/natd -dynamic -interface vx0
>
> The problem I'm looking at right now is that from another machine on my
> local network, configured as 10.0.0.2, can talk to my FreeBSD machine
> using the IP 10.0.0.1, but can't ping any outside hosts, which tells me
> I haven't properly configured the FreeBSD machine to pass packets to and
> from the outside world.  I have compiled IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT into my
> kernel, and have set firewall_enable to YES, firewall_type to OPEN, and
> gateway_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf.  I'm still new at this, and haven't
> been able to figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> Also, on a related note (after this problem gets fixed, of course)... I
> run a TetriNet server on my NT machine, which I want to keep behind the
> "firewall".  Right now, the NT machine is still set up to use DHCP to get
> an IP address directly from my cable modem provider, and I have a CNAME
> set up in my DNS to point tetrinet.dreamhaven.org to the machine's "real"
> name, defiant.dreamhaven.org.  Would there possibly be a way to set the
> CNAME to ds9.dreamhaven.org (the FreeBSD machine), and have natd direct
> any packets destined for that hostname over to defiant on the local
> network as 10.0.0.2 (i.e. not having defiant have a cable-ISP-provided
> IP)?
>
> Thanks once again in advance to the many gurus here! :)

When you find out the answer it's always something
you thought you knew :-)

Answers here http://www.freeBSD.org/search

Happily Running!
FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE #0: